Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chicken Curry with Apples and Onions

I have returned!!! After a long hiatus, a move, and new job, I'm ready to start bringing you tastiness again.  And for my triumphant re-arrival, I'm bringing the heat!

Harvest time brings a lot of really great vegetables and fruits that are full of flavor and not always available at other times of the year.  I'm talking root veggies like beets, onions, potatoes, rutabagas, jicama, and so many more, and squashes of all shapes and sizes.  But one of my most favorite fall products are apples.  I love, love, love apples in all formats both sweet and savory. This year, we may have lost a lot of crops, particularly cherries and corn, but the strange weather actually produced bumper crops of cranberries and apples. So they're overflowing off the shelves at great prices.

Today, I played with apples, onions, and Indian flavor and made Chicken Curry. This is an adaptation of a Martha Stewart recipe.

Shopping List
1 small red onion, chopped
1 green apple, cored and chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped or grated
2 T. ketchup
2 t. curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 c. greek yogurt
1/4 c. chopped cilantro


Chop a green apple, and a small red onion into small pieces.  Toss in a 2 quart microwave safe dish. Oh yeah, did I mention that you make this in the microwave?! Add 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine or grated.  I grated mine on a garlic grater by Ceramica De Espana and I love this grating plate!  It's beautiful, effective, and easy to clean.  You can grate garlic, ginger, nutmeg, and more on these things.  It is one of the better money I've spent and I'll definitely be giving some of these as gifts.  Add two tablespoons of ketchup and 1 1/4 teaspoons of curry powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Add 4 chicken breast halves.  I cubed mine, but you could leave the breasts whole if you chose.  Cook for five minutes.  Flip chicken over if whole, stir the mixture if cubed. Microwave for another five minutes.  I used the cooking time to make a pot of brown rice to go with this. Noodles or rice would be good with this dish, or wrap it in a piece of toasted Naan if you wish.

Add a 1/2 c. Greek yogurt.  You can use plain old regular yogurt, but I love the creamy texture that Greek yogurt gives sauces.  I used the individual servings of the yogurt because they're about 1 cup. I used half of the container and I'll use the other half for a peanut butter, banana, and cocoa smoothie for breakfast tomorrow. Add about a 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and mix together.  Serve over rice. If you want a bit more heat, up the curry amount.  This makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment