Sunday, March 13, 2011

Random Foodness

Admittedly, because my work doesn't involve food, and sometimes I have to do laundry, vaccuming, and other domestic chores, I don't always have time to cook.  So I'm not whipping up gourmet food every day.  So, here are some things I've eaten in the last few days:


These are crab enchiladas with bacon orange sauce.  I found this recipe on Talk of Tomatoes, a food blog I really like.  Here's the recipe.  I'm used to a little bit of heat in my enchiladas, so these were a surprise because they were very mild.  The citrus was a nice compliment to the crab, and the bacon and Parmesan added salty flavor to the dish.  If I made this again, I would probably tweak the sauce a bit, maybe adding more pepper and up the orange zest a bit.  But I would definitely make these again.




It's always nice when other people feed you.  I went to see my friends Paul and Michael in Indy, and they spoiled me rotten feeding me chili and cornbread.  It was a lovely evening, full of good friends and laughter.  I also learned that Land Shark Lager is an ok pair for chili.  It's nothing spectacular, but there's a citrusy finish that goes well with the heat of chili.  It's not a microbrew, but it's not a Bud Light.  Which is funny since Land Shark is brewed by Annheuser Busch and not in Jacksonville, Florida where it is distributed.  So, you might as well squeeze a lime in a Bud.  After eating we lay around with protruding bellies waiting to have enough room to devour the Mississippi Mud bars that were dessert.  It took me longer because I kept drinking beer (because Darrell was driving), and poaching from the Easter Hershey's Kisses and Assorted Candy Bars that were set out in bowls (I love the Krackle bars, and even more when they're presented in appealing pink foil).  It was a great evening.



Look!  Here's proof that I eat veggies too!  I love the colors in this veggie plate, and that's the sesame ginger dip I made earlier in the week.  The sugar snap peas and the green peppers were my favorite, I love the burst of flavorful juiciness that you get in those two vegetables, where broccoli and cauliflower are "drier" vegetables by nature because they're cruciferous. But that's why I like pairing those with the peas and peppers.   


Annnnd...yes, I'm in my 30's and I still eat Ramen noodles.  This is actually an electric orange Maruchan Instant Lunch in cheesy noodle flavor.  It was as if Kraft Mac N Cheese and Cheese Waffles had a soupy love child.  Bizarre.  If in the Indianapolis area, visit Saraga International Grocery and see their "wall of Ramen"  there are super strange flavors available.

Well, that's about it, I'm sitting here writing to you watching Chopped: All Stars, and it is getting intense, and then there's Food Network Challenge after that.  So I've got to sign off and watch, getting ideas and learning new stuff.  All for you my darlings!  Keep reading, keep cooking, keep enjoying life!

No comments:

Post a Comment