Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Word on Leftovers

I have never, ever been able to successfully cook for two people.  I am perfectly content noshing on the same thing for lunch or dinner for three days.  If it's cold pizza, you can throw breakfast in there too, because there's nothing finer than a cold slice of 'za to start your day.  Consequently, I always cook for at least four, usually six. 

This would be great...if my husband would eat leftovers.

He doesn't refuse, it just sits there in the container until I've eaten it all or it grows fuzz.  He even forgets to eat cupcakes that I leave for him (I'm debating whether that's grounds for couples counseling, or a psychiatric evaluation).  So, after 11 years of living with this guy, I've learned to creatively disguise leftovers by making it into something else.  Unfortunately, I haven't quite figured out how to make half a leftover cheeseburger look like something new.

For example, if there happens to be leftover steak or porkchops, The next day I'll slice it thin and sautè some peppers and onions and throw it in a tortilla with some chilis in adobo, or whisked with a little milk to make a light sauce.  Or, I'll dice up some veggies and make some rice and make fried rice with the steak or pork.  But, one of my favorites is what I do with leftover spaghetti.  I make Spaghetti Pizza Pie.

http://www.gustorganics.com/img/product/large/pepperoni-pizza.jpg

I usually make this after we've had spaghetti the night before and the noodles are a little sticky and not as appetizing as they were the first night.  I make an entire box of spaghetti because otherwise it's just swimming in sauce, and neither D or I like it that way.  I usually have a bag of mozzarella in my fridge (the normal size bag is equal to 2 cups) and a bag of Hormel Pepperoni in my fridge, so there's almost always the fixins for this dish. So...here's my extremely simple recipe:

Spaghetti Pizza Pie 
Makes 4 servings

1/2 lb. leftover spaghetti (with sauce)
2 C. Mozzarella cheese (a little less is fine)
20-30 slices of pepperoni
**that's the basics...if you want to get fancy add:
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
black olives
additional favorite pizza toppings

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
2. I find I never have to grease the pan, but you can if you want to.  In a 8x8 or 9x9 (if you want to load it up) square baking dish, spread half the spaghetti on the bottom of the pan.
3. Add your onions, peppers, olives etc, distributing them evenly across the spaghetti.
4. Sprinkle one cup of mozzarella cheese over the top.  Add pepperoni (I like to lay mine out in even lines).
5. Spread the other half of the spaghetti mixture, repeat steps 3 and 4, ending with the layer of pepperoni on top.
6. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until mozzarella is slightly brown and bubbly.
7. Let dish sit for 5 minutes before slicing, this will make it easier to slice and serve. 

And there you have it.  Usually there's not a lot of leftovers with this one, but if there are, I usually eat them and it's a reasonable amount, and I don't get tired of eating it.  Quick, easy, and something new with something old. NOM!

Do you have any good recipes for leftovers and would like to share?  Email me at eatiemail@gmail.com and I'll feature them here on Eatie!  Until next time darlings!

No comments:

Post a Comment